Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Master Suite: DIY Linen Closet

One thing our new house was lacking was a linen closet. There is a small closet in the other upstairs  bathroom, but I wanted one by our master bathroom. When we remodeled the shower space in our master bathroom, we had to decide what to do with the empty space left behind were the old shower stall was.
Old Shower Stall
We decided it would be a good idea to put a linen closet with open shelving in that space. We knew it would be one of the last projects we tackled on the bathroom, so we had the contractors put up the drywall, but said we would do the rest.

Then I painted the walls with Olympic Paint's Sterling Silver and Blue Fjord in a semi-gloss. I also painted the ceiling with some white ceiling paint.

Then my hubby installed 3 shelves. We spaced them 18 inches from the top of the space. We really wanted to maximize the depth the space offered, so we bought 1 x 2 x 4 ft melamine shelves and cut them down to fit. I used an iron-on white melamine edge on the part of the shelves that would be facing out. It was really easy to put on. Next up, my husband installed brackets using drywall anchors and screws and made sure they were level all the way across. Finally, he put the shelves in and screwed them in to the brackets. These shelves are very sturdy! I plan to get some baskets for storage and eventually, my husband wants to build a laundry basket cabinet that slides under the bottom shelf. We love the storage space this has added to our bathroom!


Project Cost: $72.03

No comments:

Post a Comment